Friday, July 3, 2015

Why is your mouth so...?

I was eating dinner yesterday when I noticed the boy next to me (the son of a teacher) staring at me. If he had been a stranger, I wouldn't have been fazed. Bemused, perhaps, but not fazed. But this kid has seen me pretty much daily--at least during the week--for months now. So why was he staring?

I made a silly face at him and he laughed and looked down at his own food. But then, a few minutes later both he and the boy next to him were watching my face again. So I asked, "Why are you looking at me?"

The second boy said after a pause, "We have a question."

"Ask away!" I responded.

"Why is your mouth so...?" he asked, demonstrating with puckered lips.

I thought for a moment and then shrugged "I don't know". But then I watched the others at the table, both the two kids and the adults. A minute later, I had the answer. "In America," I tried to explain, "we're taught that it's more polite to eat with your mouth closed, we don't open our mouths so much."

Apparently, this looks really funny.

3 comments:

  1. Tajikistan may border China but it certainly does not have any China-style quirks in terms of manners. China seems to be unique in that way XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I mean if you mean manners as in like when to call or call on someone or what questions to ask, then yeah but I mean like eating.. I donno

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!