Thursday, July 9, 2015

Introducing Sabrina



My name is Sabrina. I'm 12 years old. I can dance and sing. My favorite foods are bread, and rice. I love purple.

----

This introduction was actually written in English! (Though edited by me.) This just highlights the gap in abilities among the fifth graders. Some of them didn't even know all the letters of the alphabet. Most of them still don't remember what most basic sound each letter makes. Some of them respond to "What's your name?" With "My name is." Period. No name, regardless of how many times I've explained, and made them laugh by saying the equivalent thing in Chinese. But some of them, can actually write introductions in English! I can't help but wonder, though, how long she spent on it. I know for a fact that she wouldn't be able to say the entire thing. When she turned it in, Sabrina asked me to read it back to her.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sabrina! I'm glad you can write English so well. I like singing, too. Do you sing English songs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you come to America I hope you will sing and dance for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!