Sunday, March 29, 2015

National Flowers

Last week the most common question I got from my third graders was "What is the USA's national flower?" When I confessed to not knowing, a few of them said, "But you're American, how can you not know!" What was particularly funny about it was that one student would come up and ask me, and I'd be in the middle of explaining I didn't know, when another student would run up and ask. Having had this happen several days in a row, I finally looked it up. The rose. (China's is the peony, or  牡丹 mǔdan.) I don't know why they all wanted to know. Because it's spring? Because they recently learned about China's national flower? Because they recently learned other symbols of the USA? (We did just do a unit on "Where are you from?")

2 comments:

  1. I know the state flowers of California and Iowa (golden poppy and prairie rose) but I didn't know about the US having one!
    isn't the rose England's national flower?

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we learned about flowers I couldn't find peony in any dictionary and students insisted that the pictures were roses so I coined the term "Frankish rose" in Tajik
    Frankish is a common adjective used to create new words for example "Frankish mulberry" is 'tomato' and what I can only translate as "Frankish traditional-robe-coat" is 'coat'
    I thought you might find that interesting

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!