Thursday, April 9, 2015

Earthquake Drills

On Wednesday we had another earthquake drill. Luckily, I was forewarned. One teacher even thought specifically to make sure I knew (since they had been announcing it in the local dialect). At first I was rather confused because she asked if I had class during first period. But first period had already passed and no English classes are ever first period. Then she clarified, first period in the afternoon (which is officially fifth period, but everyone persists in calling it afternoon first period).

At first I was just told there was this drill. I didn't know if it would happen at the beginning of class or the end of class. If it would take five minutes or half an hour. During lunch, I asked my principal. She said she didn't know. After lunch, I asked my cofellow. He looked at the announcement for me and told me it should start ten minutes into class and would likely take the whole rest of the period.

So I went to class prepared, and managed to get through the quiz and two simple phrases ("Thank you." and "You're welcome.") before the whistle blew. The students jumped out of their seats, grabbed books to hold over their heads, and ran out of the classroom and down the stairs. It was pretty impressive how quickly 1,200 students on four floors exited the building.

1200+ students huddling in groups in the courtyard. Of course, it had to be raining (luckily only enough to be a nuisance).

Some of them have books and some are just clutching their heads.

I asked why the girls and boys were in separate lines and was told it was easier to delegate responsibility this way.
One girl and one boy are in charge of making sure that the other girls/boys are all present.

Having completed the evacuation drill from the classrooms, the students then went to the dorms and practiced evacuating from there.

Some third grade girls run through the arch in the school to reach the main courtyard.

No matter how many times I see it, I can't help but laugh at the books and head-holding.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard from the students that secondary schools here do these drills, too, but I haven't had the chance to see it since our university doesn't seem to. I wonder if Tajik students cover their heads in the same way XD

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!