Monday, September 22, 2014

Butterfly

Last week I played Rajaton's recording of Mia Makaroff's Butterfly for by students. If you haven't heard it, take a listen. I told them the name of the song in English and Chinese (蝴蝶 hu2die2) and told them to think about what it might mean or how it made them feel. Then I told them to write or draw.

Although there were some students who didn't know what to write or draw, only one student didn't write or draw anything, and there were a lot of creative results. Here are some of my favorites:










Also the follow written comments:

"This song is very moving."

"I don't understand this song, but it sounds very hard to sing."

"This is the most beautiful song I've ever heard!"

"At first it sounds like there's no meaning, but then it makes sense. In the middle there's a lot of English, a lot of knowledge. Thank you."

"I think this English song sounds very good, I really want to learn, because since I was small I dreamed of learning English songs. Miss Nan can you give me pretty English songs to listen to?"

"This song makes me want to fly."

"This reminds me of when I was small and played with my older brother and sister."

P.S. If anyone has ideas for songs I should have them listen to, please comment below! I'd like to expose them to all sorts of different styles.

3 comments:

  1. At the American Corner I always use songs with titles that include the word America somehow. I've done:

    Party in the U.S.A., Miley Cyrus
    American Woman, Lenny Kravitz
    American Honey, Lady Antebellum
    All-American Girl, Carrie Underwood <--- this one has an excellent music video for teaching professions, check it out! if youtube is also blocked in China (it is here) then don't worry because there is a website that has it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, based on the comments, your students would be classified as "Intermediate" here. Most of the students in those classes are in high school!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about my username for the first comment

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!