Thursday, December 11, 2014

It's Christmas?

I know that it's December. I've been doing lots of things to make it feel Christmassy: playing Christmas songs (both in music class and in my room), making apple crisp in my rice cooker (I don't have butter for pie), teaching the whole school to say "Merry Christmas", lighting candles in my room even when the power isn't out. But I still found myself taken aback when some of the television shows I've been keeping up with had mentions of Christmas, or decorations, or holiday music. I had this gut reaction: it's not time for Christmas yet!

But, of course, it is. And I would like to do even more here to make it feel like Christmas. I have class on Christmas day (all of my classes, in fact) and would love to do something special...but I'm not sure what.

I could play a Christmas movie...no, I don't have a projector. And 52 kids is way too many to watch from my laptop screen.

I could give them little gifts...but what?

I could put up Christmas lights...but they don't sell them here.

I'm thinking about doing some sort of tree-decorating with paper trees and ornaments...but I'll have to scavenge all the stationary stores for appropriate supplies...and while having some fun is definitely in order, I need to keep it under that crucial chaotic threshold...

Anyway, I'd welcome any suggestions! Happy Advent.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Sorry I didn't read this before asking if you had class today. I'm kind of jealous since we're forbidden from doing anything for Christmas because it is a religious holiday. Today in my various classes we did a "who likes what" competition, read from a youth mystery, and practiced cursive. Absolutely nothing festive at all....

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!