Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Narrow Escape

"I have a question for you," said my principal.

"Yes?" I reply.

"....are you willing...?"

"Sorry, I don't quite understand your question."

A few other teachers in the office chime in, but I don't know what they're saying either.

"Next Monday we will...are you willing...?" my principal tries again.

"I'm sorry I still don't understand."

Liang Laoshi comes over and explains to me slowly and in simple terms: "Next Monday they will come to take blood and bring it to the hospital. To help patients."

Ohhhh. The crucial word I didn't understand was xiàn, meaning offer or present. Or in this case donate, as in donating blood. Explained with more basic terminology, however, I finally got the message. Thank goodness for Liang Laoshi.

"The school has to have twenty teachers donate, and we're still short a few people" explained the principal. "Are you willing?"

"I'd rather not," I said hesitatingly. "I'm sorry."

Luckily they were pretty understanding and I didn't have to go into all the reasons why I think it would be a bad idea, ranging from the difficulty in taking blood from me to my distrust of Chinese needles.

1 comment:

  1. I love the "are you willing" that really makes the story

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!