Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Living in the Clouds: 界头镇中心小学

I am living in the clouds. But actually, here’s the view from my bedroom:

There's often a line of clouds at the base of the mountains which is about eye-level from my fifth-floor dorm.

When we were told that the teacher's dorms were brand new, we didn't realize that they meant unfinished. But it's a lot of space--two bedrooms, a living room, a bathroom, and a kitchen (currently empty)--with much potential. With the efforts of some workmen as well as Katherine and myself, it's already pretty homey! Here are some pictures to show its evolution:

Living room and balcony.

From the balcony door looking at the front door (covered in blue plastic) and empty kitchen.

There was nothing in the bedrooms except these beds (this sort of wooden plank is a typical bed in China).

So the first step (given what I had with me from the last month) was to make my bed!

The colour itself was a great addition.

And I put up the wall hanging that I bought in Dali. Unfortunately the double-sided tape didn't stick well to the fabric, so I'm going to have to find another method of hanging it.


Then they brought us furniture and curtains! They gave us two of these benches, two cupboards for clothes, and three classroom desks (mine is functioning as a nightstand).


And then...they put in fake-wood floors (the kind that comes in a big roll). They are much more comfortable to walk on, easier to clean, and more colourful than the concrete! (Of course, with furniture already in the room, the floor installation required quite a lot of moving of furniture and all the stuff we had unpacked, not knowing there'd be flooring...)


Doesn't it look homey now?


I even got a cheap collapsible wardrobe to hang my clothes in! I was hoping for the classy blue fabric shown on the box, but I got flowers and watermelon instead.


We've been contemplating comfy, but not ridiculously expensive, seating options for the living room. Today we noticed a wicker bench outside of the teacher's office and found that it was surprisingly comfortable. When we asked where we could get something like it, they told us to take it!


On the first evening the power was out, so we were given some candles. The candlelight was nice, but I couldn't help thinking about fire safety's reaction not only to the candle and flame, but to my makeshift candle holder! (But all was well, and now I have a tacky ceramic elephant candle holder.)



Last night's sunset over the mountains, taken from by bedroom window.

Here is the school itself and, of course, our beautiful mountains in the background. I really couldn't ask for more beautiful environs!



This morning there was lots of noise as students cleaned, were talked to, clapped, and shouted back responses.



I probably won't start teaching until Monday (although even this seems a little vague). Apparently the students went home today and will be back on Sunday. More details to come!

2 comments:

  1. This is the school teacher is zhengxing, how are you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Greetings from Arizona. I hope all is well with you there!

      Delete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!