Friday, July 18, 2014

Names

I'm used to having to spell my name so that people can figure out how to pronounce it, but in the US it's because I have an unusual name. Interestingly, in China, everyone has to explain their name somehow or another because even if someone knows how to say it, they won't know how to write it. Most people have a set of words that they use to explain it (like when we say N as in Nancy, they say the syllable and then a two-syllable word that contains it). Even so, though, there tends to be some confusion. Sometimes they use a finger to trace the character on their other hand. Here at SI, though, we all have badges so people often introduce themselves with their badge. I put both my English and Chinese names on my badge so people can examine them both!

Although I can repeat back someone's name when they introduce themselves, I find I am very bad at remembering Chinese names. I need to create a new slot in my brain, and quickly, before I have to learn all my students' names!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!