Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 1

Yesterday's post was about all I could manage yesterday evening, but after a full night's sleep I felt much more human this morning. I woke at dawn to the birds chirping, which was--for once--pleasant, as I had gone to sleep early. Breakfast was at 7:00 and included pancakes, papaya, pineapple, and fruit juice. I had forgotten the joys of abundant fresh fruit in the tropics.

We had class from 8 to 12 with a tea and cookie break at 10. The first class was about designing our independent projects and writing scientific papers. The second was a rundown of statistical tests.

Lunch was simple but yummy: rice, beans, chicken, and watermelon.

We spent the afternoon in the local rainforest. The area we went to was called "Camino de Plantacion" in Soberania National Park. Although there were many interesting insects, butterflies, and plants, probably the most exciting were the 11 howler monkeys. We also saw a sloth, but it was pretty much just a blob in the fork of a tree.

It was a great first day, but I'm still pretty exhausted, so I will close with a few pictures. Enjoy!


The first monkey spotted! Such a cute little face...

Most of the others were in pairs, apparently mother with juvenile.

Leaf cutter ants.


Frog! (~ 1 cm long)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!