Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Kunming

I've spent the last day and a half in Kunming and found it rather disorienting. There were stretches of streets that reminded me of American cities. A red brick building. Starbucks (and KFC, McDonalds, Dairy Queen...). A church. Ethnic diversity (I'm used to knowing all the blonde-haired people around!). American pop music (although, funnily enough, the music blaring on the streets is typically Chinese, regardless of the music being played).

This has served as a good reminder that my experience of China is still very limited. It's very different from a tourist's experience, but in some ways it's just as skewed.

Here are a few pictures from my travels.


Snow-covered tarmac at Dulles airport (through an icy window).

Sunrise over Malaysia.

Rock formations and palm trees (clearly planted in strict rows) next to the Kuala Lumpur airport.

Church in Kunming (the only one I've seen in Yunnan).

Flower display in Kunming.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is not what I expected Malaysia to look like at all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!