Monday, February 2, 2015

"Area for Makeshift Tents"

My virtual silence since I've been home has, in part, been due to being home and otherwise occupied, but also due to the fact that my computer was broken. I sent it in for repairs soon after I returned to the US and was told the keyboard and touchpad needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, when the new keyboard came in it was defective and yet another replacement part had to be ordered.

So finally, here I am again with my fixed laptop, ready to share a little bit more from my last few weeks in China.

I spotted this wonderful sign during my Christmas trip into the city of Tengchong.



Between the symbol and the translation I took this to mean "camping area", but my friend pointed out that there wasn't actually much space for camping--it was in the middle of a public park. My dictionary, however, came to the rescue. A better translation is "emergency shelter area". Ahhh. I assume these would be setup in the event of a major earthquake in the area or some similar disturbance. Anyway, yet another reminder to ignore my native script in favor of the local script, even if I can't read it all!

1 comment:

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!