Monday, March 15, 2021

Bobcat!

On a walk last month, I had the good fortune of encountering a bobcat. The intervening weeks have been rather busy, but I finally got around to sorting through and editing my photos over the weekend, so here they are.


Having just emerged from the marsh, presumably after hunting, the bobcat (Lynx rufus) settled down in the middle of the path to clean off.


It's always important to get between the toes...




I like how clearly you can see the patterning on the ears in this onewhite surrounded by black, with just a bit of black tuft (less prominent than on other lynx species).





Here's a quick video too.


This bobcat seemed unusually unperturbed by the audience that congregated (at a respectful distance) to watch. Presumably, living in Sweetwater Wetlands, it's become rather habituated to human presence. Nevertheless, they eventually walked off the other side of the trail and settled down behind the shrubs for a more extended and relaxed grooming session. I watched for about half an hour before I really had to get back to work, and I was able to get a few (mostly) clear shots through the branches.



Wild and domestic cats alike have a special way of looking as if they're doing yoga while grooming.


Didn't quite get the clear shot here, but I still like the result...



It's pretty awesome to make eye contact with a wild felid, even a small one.



While the bobcat of course stole the show, there were also many lovely birds, so stay tuned for those photos soon(ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, reactions, or comments? I always love to hear from you!